THE BROOKING NATIONAL ARCHITECTURAL MUSEUM
Registered Charity Number 1155363
Colour and light (above) this top sash, from an 1820’s landing window in a Berkshire
country house, has amber acid-
The mingling of coloured and stained (right) Top: Internal fanlight with coloured glass margins from Gordon Terrace, Redhill, Surrey, circa 1888. This row of small, lower middle class late Victorian houses was built soon after the Khartoum campaign, and celebrates its memorable protagonist in its name. Centre: transom light from a bay window on the first floor of a commercial building adjoining the Sutton Arcade, South London, built circa 1898. Bottom: Gothic style transom light with amber and green coloured glass from conservatory, circa 1862, at a house in Dapdune Crescent, Guildford, Surrey.
This decorative leaded light landing window (right) is set in a steel casement, using textured glass whose effect comes from catching the light at different angles. From a middle class 1929 house in Sandy Lane, South Cheam, Surrey, by the distinguished builder Andrew Burton. The design was one of his most characteristic.
Much more than just glass
In The Collection glass appears in numerous instructive guises – painted, enamelled,
Elaborate transom light (above) from a ground floor casement window of a middle class house in Balham, South London, circa 1900. It uses subtle hints of carefully gradated coloured glass to achieve its overall effect.
Detail of fanlight (above) from 2 Pit Farm Road, Guildford, built circa 1889-
Arched light (above right) from a front door in Richmond Terrace, Whitehall, London,
circa 1845. The fine quality cut glass border and acid-
Painted glass landing window (right) with strong William Morris influence, from a large middle class villa built in 1880 in Epsom Road, Guildford, Surrey. A fine example of domestic painted glass of the later Victorian period, acquired in 1977.
|What is it for?|
|How it began|
|Halls of Fame|
|From A to Z|