THE BROOKING NATIONAL ARCHITECTURAL MUSEUM

Registered Charity Number 1155363

Home The Collection Conservation Who's Who & How to Help What's New Contact
THE 
BROOKING
NATIONAL COLLECTION

admin@thebrookingcollection.org

Knowledge, step by step

A highly-practical presentation of design, construction and detail sections, with all essential references retained. This way the development of the staircase can be visibly explained, and the construction of these complex pieces understood.

Metal balustrades are also included, with baluster examples covering periods from 1690 to the present day. A large library of hand-rail profiles has also been developed.

The Barretts were here (right)... detail of handrail wreath and wrought-iron newel post and balusters, showing underlying iron framework. This was acquired in 1979 from 99 Gloucester Place, London (left). Developed by James Burton circa 1805-10, this was the home of the Barrett family before they moved to Wimpole Street.

Section of handrail  (right) with bolts exposed, from staircase in 1964 Scott Brownrigg & Turner extension to the White Horse Hotel in High Street, Guildford, Surrey. Note the tip of the underlying iron framework at the upper left.

The military manner (below) section of oak newel post and banister from the Officers’ Mess at Stoughton Barracks, Guildford, Surrey, circa 1934-7. Acquired 1994.

Show and tell (above) part of a teaching display of Regency and early Victorian staircase sections. This style of sectioning lets the visitor examine construction details usually hidden from view.             

Metal polish (above) this bronze handrail wreath came from the principal staircase, Bracken House, Cannon Street, London – headquarters of the Financial Times. Designed by Sir Albert Richardson and completed in 1959.

The Collection enables the close study of the details, such as the balusters on staircases. This one (left) is constructed from lead on a wrought iron frame. It is from the principal staircase in Prospect Park, Reading, part of an 1800 re-modelling by Sanderson.                 

A dramatic staircase section (left) comes from No 2 Beach Road, Hayling Island. This large house, built in 1828, was later extended by the Sandeman port family.

Home The Collection Conservation Who's Who & How to Help What's New Contact